March 17, 2012

A follower

Someone once told me that Alaska is the most exotic place in the world. I had to ponder that for a while as my idea of exotic involves mostly white sandy beaches, palm trees, nice blue ocean water, and tropical fruit. I do have to admit though that Alaska is one of the most beautiful and unexpected places I've seen.

One of the interesting things about Alaska is its seasons. Winters are long, cold and dark. Spring and Summers are bright and full of activity. Falls are gorgeous but short.

As I was driving through town yesterday and admiring the gorgeous sunshine, I started to think about the effects of the sun on people. One more winter is slowly but surely coming to an end here in the lands of the north. The dark and short days are behind, days are getting longer and the sun shines so beautifully that sometimes I forget it's still winter. All of a sudden I have more energy and I wake up happier as the sun shines through the windows. I feel myself more active and I've been dreaming about all the flowers and vegetables I'm going to plant in my garden. I don't feel as sluggish and blah as I felt a couple of months ago when the sun was out for about 3 hours at a time. And with each passing day, as the sun shines more and more, I feel myself getting exited about Spring and all the wonderful things that come with it! This morning I even sat outside, winter gear on, just soaking up the sun. Oh how I love sunshine! It truly warms not only my body but also my soul!

What a beautiful object lesson from nature of God's influence in our lives. The Bible says that God is light and that in Him there is no darkness (I John 1:5). Jesus said that He is the light of the world (John 8:12). And He adds that if we follow Him we will never walk in darkness. God turns our darkness into light (II Samuel 22:29.) If experiencing the light of the sun has such an impact on my day to day, imagine how much more impact will the Son of God have in my life! Without Him my life has no purpose. I'm just living my day to day without any hope for the future. Without God in my life I have to endure my struggles on my own or rely on other unreliable human beings. Without God I have to aimless look for some happiness in my existence which is so conditional on circumstances. 

But with God in my life...

With God I can do all things because He gives me strength! With Him I can have a peace that surpasses all understanding. With God I have hope for the future! I'll still have problems, He did not promise a problem free life in this sinful world, but He's overcome the world. All these problems are temporary and I can have the assurance that in Him I'll come out of trials victorious! With God I have joy in my heart, even when things are going crazy around me. How wonderful!

I was reading Matthew 13 this week and verses 14 and 15 got my attention. As Jesus was explaining to His disciples why He spoke in parables, He also said that if people could see and  understand with their hearts what they were seeing and hearing, then they would turn and Christ would heal them. How incredible is the power of God in our lives! If we give Him a chance to work in us, we can't help but be transformed. Just take for example William Miller, a firm atheist, who decided to read the Bible so he could prove the Christians wrong. What a powerful witness for Christ He became as he learned of God's immense love for him. And what about Paul who went from persecuting to loving. What a champion for the truth he became. And how many more stories in millions of people around the world are written in the hearts as a witness of God's amazing and powerful influence in their lives!

If you haven't become a Christ follower yet I encourage you to give Him a chance. Tell Him that you want to know what it is to have Him in your life. Tell Him you want to know what He can do in you and to help you see what He wants you to see. Allow God to shine on you more and more. I promise you'll be in for THE experience of your life! The transformation in you will be incredible. I know that from my own experience. Being a God follower has been the greatest thing ever! Why don't you experience for yourself what it is to follow God? Starting right now...



" I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
John 8:12



"The people walking in darkness have seen a great light; on those living in the land of deep darkness a light has dawned."
Isaiah 9:2




No comments:

Post a Comment

Trasured Moments

My day began early, just as the sun was giving a slight hint of its impending coming. I sat in the quietness of the living room looking...