July 23, 2016

Jacob's promises

Jacob was a mess! He had deceived his own father by stealing the firstborn blessing from his older brother Esau, and now Esau was angry and wanted to kill him. In her despair, his mother Rebekah devised a plan for Jacob to run away to her brother in search of a wife. At least that’s what she told Isaac. After one lie too many, Jacob was now running for his life. That first night away from home he got a stone for a pillow and laid down to sleep. I can’t imagine having to use a rock as a pillow. Jacob had hit a low point in his life and felt lonely now far from his beloved home and family. However, he was not alone. Someone was watching him. Someone who had been present from the very beginning was there with him. God was there and He wanted Jacob to know it, so He gave him a dream. 


You may know this story. If not you can find it in Genesis 28. In the dream Jacob sees a stairway connecting Heaven and earth, angels going up and down, and God standing on top. Then God speaks and fills Jacob’s mind with promises of prosperity and peace. God promises He’ll take care of Jacob until he returns to his family’s home and that He’ll bless others through him. Finally God says He won’t leave Jacob until all His promises are fulfilled.

As I read this story my first thought was “wow, what a dream. With promises like this Jacob had no reasons to fear for his future.” I was slightly jealous that Jacob heard from God Himself that He would take care of him all the time. As soon as that thought entered my mind though, God flooded my mind with Bible promises reminding me that they are mine too. I too had no reason to fear for my future.


“For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11

“God has said, ‘never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.’
So we say with confidence, 'The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can mere mortals do to me?'" Hebrews 13:5,6

“Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.” Deuteronomy 31:6

“Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth…” God's dwelling place is now among the people and He will dwell with them. They will be His people, and God Himself will be with them and be their God.” Revelation 21:1,3
 

These and so many other promises are for all of us. We too are promised peace and prosperity and God will use us to bless others. God promises to take care of us until the day we arrive Home and He will never leave us until all His promises are fulfilled. May we respond like Jacob did when he realized God was there with him that first night away from home and make the Lord our God. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Trasured Moments

My day began early, just as the sun was giving a slight hint of its impending coming. I sat in the quietness of the living room looking...