January 03, 2018

Foot Prints on the Sand


Sitting here in my home office looking out the window and thinking about the past year. I would love to say that 2017 was the most horrible year of my life, but I can’t. It was an extremely difficult year, I can’t deny that. This past year I attended at least eight funerals, including my own mother’s. I lost friends and family to illness, to homicide, and to accidents. And there were other trials. Many other trials. During this time, my family and I spent several weeks apart due to obligations out of state - even out of the country - and work schedule conflicts. We were away from each other during some of the toughest times. The emotional and spiritual struggles were extremely intense.

Yet I just can’t bring myself to say this was the most horrible year of my life. I can’t because the whole time I know without a doubt that I was being carried in the arms of Jesus.

Do you know that story of the footprints on the sand? A person had a dream about walking with God on a beach and all was well until he noticed that during his most difficult times there was only one set of foot prints on the sand. Upset, thinking that God had left him when he needed Him the most, he complained to God. Lovingly God explained that the foot prints the man saw belonged to Him. During the person’s trials and tribulations, God gently carried him in His arms.

That’s where I have been this past year, and still am. In God’s arms. There is no way I could’ve done it on my own. So as I look back at the foot prints on the sand, I only see on set: God’s.


This close to Him I’ve been able to see life a tiny little bit the way He sees. In His arms I’ve felt safe and loved. He has given me strength, comfort, and peace beyond human understanding, and given me the courage to hold on tight to Him during the most difficult times.

I don’t know when I’ll be able to put my feet back on the ground and take some steps on my own. I trust He will gently put me back down when the time is right. Even then I don’t have to worry, because I know I’ll walk under the shelter of His wings. And if needed be, He'll pick me up in His arms again.


Photo by Bill Kasper


"He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and protection."
Psalm 91:4

No comments:

Post a Comment

Trasured Moments

My day began early, just as the sun was giving a slight hint of its impending coming. I sat in the quietness of the living room looking...