August 30, 2014

Beautiful world

Life is busy! Life can be extremely busy, but I think most often it is because we allow it to become that way. One thing I've been really trying to do is to learn to say no to myself. I'm probably the one who's the most responsible for my super long to do list, so I'm trying to prioritize the things I need and would like to do. Anyway, this week I was reminded of how much I've been missing because of all of this running to and from.

First I must admit that it has taken quite some adjusting moving from Alaska back into the lower 48, especially because we're back in the city. There are more cars, more houses, more people, and fewer trees, and it's easy to become distracted with the many things that are constantly happening around me. However, one of the things I learned in Alaska was how wonderful it is to focus and learn from nature and even though up north it was all around me, I know there is beautiful nature everywhere!

One of the things I've always loved about Texas is how big the sky is here. I love how the sun rays gloriously peek through the clouds during sunrise, how orange, red, and gold the sky is at sunset, or how filled with stars it is at night. Breathtaking! 

Well this week I was getting ready to go to sleep and opened the back door to let our dog in when I decided that I hadn't been outside at night in a while. I pulled up a chair and sat down looking up at the beautiful dark sky. Millions of stars were shinning and I realized how much I had missed the sky. My heart was naturally drawn to God. I wasn't there probably 2 minutes when a star flew across the sky leaving a trail of sparkling glitter behind. Wow! I was so excited and thought to myself that I've been missing a lot by staying inside so busy with daily life. Then I just stayed outside enjoying the quietness of the night and how beautiful it was.

Now I'm taking time to go outside every night to look up and admire God's beautiful artwork and to thank Him for having given me another day. Truly the heavens declare His glory!

A new week is starting and I would like to encourage you to take time from your busy life to admire the beautiful things God has created. There's always something we can admire and learn from nature, even in the big city. It could be the sky, the beautiful houseplants that decorate your home (some of mine had mushrooms growing around them. Go figure!), it could be the little tough weeds that grow through the cracks in the cement, the little bugs and butterflies that fly around, or the birds that cross the sky or in our case crowd our feeders. I truly believe all the birds of the neighborhood are here in our backyard! I love it! :) All I know is that God has an amazing natural world out there for us to enjoy. Take advantage of it!

http://images2.layoutsparks.com/1/116462/taurus-1-starry-sky.jpg


"The heavens declare the glory of God; 
the skies proclaim the work of his hands."
Psalm 19:1


No comments:

Post a Comment

Trasured Moments

My day began early, just as the sun was giving a slight hint of its impending coming. I sat in the quietness of the living room looking...