August 15, 2014

Whiny Christians

I had to chuckle when I read the beginning of James 4 this week. The Bible actually talks of whiny Christians! Right in the first few verses the author speaks about the fights and quarrels that happen in God's church. Interesting to know that this was a problem even way back then, but it was a problem nonetheless and it was a reflection of a poor relationship with God just like it is today. James was encouraging God's followers to stop quarreling for it displeased God. James also explains that the reason we fight and quarrel among ourselves is because of our desires. If we don't get what we want, we complain and argue. In other words, we whine! 

In a previous post I spoke about a study on the world's most annoying sound. Participants in the study couldn't even solve simple math problems when exposed to whining, it didn't matter the language. The sound can be extremely irritating and distressing. No wonder when Christians whine there can be so much confusion and distress in God's church. 

God calls the fighting and quarreling friendship with the world (verse 4), and that when we do that we are speaking against His law therefore breaking the law (verse 11.) What an awful and somber thought.

The good news is that the Bible is filled with stories of followers of God who solved their fights and quarreling with the help of the Holy Spirit. Even though the devil does all he can to cause division among God's people, if we are humble and allow the Holy Spirit to work in our lives, God will bring peace and love. That's because the fruit of a life filled with the Holy Spirit is among others, peace, and love, self control and gentleness. 

I am asking God to help me never cause any quarreling simply because I'm not getting my way. I want to be humble and glorify Him in everything I do and say. I want the fruit of His Spirit to overflow in my life and I want Him to help me fill my mind and heart with things that are excellent and praiseworthy. Why don't you ask God the same? Let's do it and stop our quarreling, fighting, and whining! 




"Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you."
James 4:7


"Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things."
Philippians 4:8

No comments:

Post a Comment

Trasured Moments

My day began early, just as the sun was giving a slight hint of its impending coming. I sat in the quietness of the living room looking...