January 29, 2016

When the answer is no

How we need quiet moments with God. Uninterrupted, completely focused on Him. For me those moments are in the morning, when most of my world is still asleep enveloped in the darkness that happens before dawn. I want to listen better when God speaks, so the morning calm makes it easier to hear Him talk. This morning I was sitting in front of my big window looking at the stars up above and thinking about the many storms so many of us are facing this moment. There are so many problems, and I don't know if it is because I'm older or more aware of life in general, but often it seems like there is no relief from the storm. Days, months, and years go by without it calming down. And we ask God for help ,but truly what we want is for our problems to go away. That's exactly what I told God this morning. It would be very nice if all of a sudden everyone on my prayer list was happy, healthy, and wealthy with no problems to weigh us down. Then God led me to Psalm 86...

I'm not a Biblical expert, so I don't know when David wrote Psalm 86 or under what circumstances, but in verse 16 David asks God to save the son of a woman who served the Lord. I started then to think of David's life. When He called Bathsheba to his palace and then had her husband killed, Bathsheba became pregnant. That child God said would not live. David pleaded and begged for God to deliver that child from death. David truly agonized over the whole situation. He probably felt the weight of his guilt and felt responsible. But even though David prayed and fasted God still answered no. David then put his trust in God knowing that He knew best.

God says no many times, doesn't He? Or maybe He's simply saying not yet.

How are to respond when God says no? How often, and I speak from experience, do we get mad at God for not granting our requests? We kick and scream and whine. We feel as if God has abandoned us and doesn't care about us anymore. It's hard when things don't go our way. 

You know, children are a lot like that. They have their wills and get upset when things don't happen the way they want. Have you heard of temper tantrums? The child kicks, screams, and whines. But parents also say no a lot and often children don't understand why. Depending on the age of the child, there are many times when parents can't explain why not because the child would simply not understand. 

It's so easy to understand this rationale with children, but we get very uncomfortable when it applies to us. The truth is God knows best and depending on our walk with Him, not always can He explain why as we would simply not understand. Until we see the way He sees, we won't get it. 

So what are we to do when God says no? The Bible is filled with guidance for us. We are first to go to Him so we can find rest. (Matthew 11:28) We are to trust (Proverbs 3:5) and not worry (Matthew 6:34). We are to be still (Psalm 46:10) and find strength in Him (Psalm 18:2). We are to rely on His promises knowing without doubt that He is always with us (Isaiah 41:10), no matter what we are going through (Psalm 23:4).

Today put your trust in God. No matter how He answers your prayers, resolve to rest in His love, wisdom, and His plan for your life. His plans are never to harm you, but to fill you with hope. There is a bright future just around the corner. A future with no more pain, suffering, problems, with no more death. That's our goal. That's where we need to focus. A future free of sin is our reward for staying faithful till the end. Lean on Christ your Rock! It's not always easy, but He promised that with Him, you can do everything! (Philippians 4:13).


 "Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest."
Matthew 11:28

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take."
Proverbs 3:5,6

"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." 
Matthew 6:34 

"“Be still, and know that I am God."
Psalm 46:10

 "The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the power that saves me, and my place of safety."
Psalm 18:2

"Even when I walk through the darkest valley, I will not be afraid, for you are close beside me."
Psalm 23:4 

"Don't be afraid, for I am with you. Don't be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand."

Isaiah 41:10

"I can do everything through Christ who gives me strength."
Philippians 4:13




No comments:

Post a Comment

Trasured Moments

My day began early, just as the sun was giving a slight hint of its impending coming. I sat in the quietness of the living room looking...