September 24, 2016

Hot Air Balloon Ride

It was one of those very busy mornings trying to rush out of the door, so I could get on time to where I needed to be. Already somewhat stressed, I got in the car and joined the many others who seemed to be going to the same place at the same time as me. The traffic was insane! It took several turns just to get through one traffic light. It’s very difficult to wait patiently when one’s in a hurry! I looked at the sea of cars in front of me, on the opposite lane, and to the rest of the city in the distance. There were cars everywhere. Hundreds, thousands maybe! So many people on the road at that same time of the morning busy starting their day, some going to work, others going to school, and yet others probably heading back home after working all night. I should’ve picked a different time to have to leave the house! Rush hour is almost always stressful.
As I contemplated the scene in front of me, my eyes were suddenly directed upwards. Way up, above the morning madness, a couple of hot air balloons gently rode the beautiful blue sky. Completely unaffected by the traffic around me, they slowly moved through the air. I thought how quiet it must have been to rise above the morning chaos and quietly enjoy the amazing mountain views and watch the sunrise from above. As I watched the contrast between life on the ground and life in the air, the words of a song came to my mind:


"There is a quiet place,
 Far from the rapid pace
Where God can soothe my troubled mind.
Sheltered by tree and flow’r,
There in my quiet hour
With Him my cares are left behind.
Whether a garden small,
Or on a mountain tall,
New strength and courage there I find;
Then from this quiet place
I go prepared to face a new day
With love for all mankind.”

A quiet place… I couldn’t help but take a deep breath and start talking with God. In the middle of the rapid pace, I can always find rest in my Savior. All of a sudden I could feel the stress melting away and I enjoyed the time alone inside my car to speak and listen to my best Friend. It was as if I had gone on my personal hot air balloon ride, and quietly enjoyed the rest of my commute looking at the beautiful mountains, the glorious sunrise, and the hot balloons gently riding the high air. I too became unaffected by the morning chaos.

Our world is getting crazier and crazier. People are so busy with so many things, it’s mad chaos every day, every time. We are constantly on the go! God knew beforehand that we would be easily tempted to join the mad rush and live life on the fast lane. He also knew that doing so would be detrimental to our lives in many different ways. That’s why the Bible is filled with counsel for us to go to Him and rest in Him. To stop running and simply be still. To be so quiet that we can see the work of God around us, which gets easily missed when we are so busy.

I encourage you to get on that personal “hot air balloon” with God and go for a ride. Enjoy the cool breeze on your face and the quietness of the moment away from it all. Get refreshed and recharged. Seek His wisdom and counsel for your life. Simply enjoy the company of One who is filled with love for you and can gently change your life for the better. You can do this at any time. It’s nice to begin the day with Him, but we can always go to Him for rest…even during morning rush hour in the big city.

 
"Then, because so many people were coming and going that they did not even have a chance to eat, he said to them, "Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest."
Mark 6:31

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."
 Matthew 11:28


No comments:

Post a Comment

Trasured Moments

My day began early, just as the sun was giving a slight hint of its impending coming. I sat in the quietness of the living room looking...